If your roof has sustained damage due to wind, hail, or other weather events, you may be eligible to have your roof repair or replacement paid for by your insurance company. Working with insurance to cover the cost of your roof can take some time and energy, but it’s worth it when you don’t have to pay for your new roof. Here’s what you need to know to make the process as smooth as possible.
- Know your coverage. Check to make sure that your roof is covered and that you understand the coverage you have. If your roof was in poor condition before the storm, it may be harder to get your repairs paid for by insurance.
- Specifically, document any damage. Take photographs and videos of the damage that you can see. If you have shingles in your yard or can see the damage, take photos. If the damage has affected things inside your house, document those, too. See if the news covered the storm that damaged your house and keep news clippings or videos that describe it.
- Contact your insurance company. You may have a limited window in which you can file a claim, so contact a representative from your insurance company as soon as possible. Ask what you can expect from the company and what to do about any temporary repairs that are necessary to protect your home.
- Talk to roofing companies. Get written quotes from at least three roofing companies that outline the work they propose to do on your roof and how much that would cost. Have them indicate whether the roof needs total replacement or whether repairs could suffice. If you have to have temporary repairs done in order to continue living in your house, save these invoices and receipts for later reimbursement.
- File your claim. Follow your insurance company’s policies and procedures and ask them if you have any questions about how to proceed.
- Get an appointment with an adjuster. A representative from the insurance company will need to come out and inspect the damage at your home. Make sure you show the adjuster any documentation you saved, above. He or she will likely take photos, too. It may take up to several weeks to get a quote from your insurance company regarding how much they will give you to fix your roof.
- Get your roof fixed. Choose a company and get the work done on your roof. If you don’t think your insurance company evaluated well, follow their appeal process to see if you can change their quote. In the end, get the roof repaired so you can get back to your normal routine.
When you work through all of these steps, you should be able to get the money that is due you for replacing or repairing your roof. We’ll help you work with your insurance company as we can so you can get the very best roof for your home! Call us for more questions on roof insurance in Denver!