Commercial Roofing Insurance Claims
Do you know if your business’s insurance covers your roof? Will it help you get a replacement, or just perform repairs? Answers to these questions may not seem important until your roof gets damaged by weather or starts to wear out because of age. At that point, it’s too late to get the coverage you need. Make sure you have it now by asking the right questions.
Warranties vs. Insurance
Your roof may have several warranties. The company that makes the roofing material may have warrantied it for a certain amount of time and the commercial roofing contractor who installed it may have warrantied their work, too. These are not the same as having insurance on your roof. Some warranties are voided if the roof undergoes certain types of natural disasters and they all expire after a certain amount of time.
Instead, make sure that your commercial property insurance also covers your roof. It should not expire, nor should it have clauses in it about weather events. Here are a few things to find out about your insurance policy and your commercial roof.
- Does the policy cover the entire roof, from the surfacing materials down through to the deck?
- Will the insurance pay the full cost for roof replacement or will it only pay for repairs? Is the replacement cost pro-rated based on the age of the roof?
- Does the insurance cover storm and wind damage, insect problems, water issues, and damage by debris blown off other buildings?
- Are there any other terms that you need to know about when it comes to your insurance?
That last question is particularly important because there may be maintenance things that you need to do to maintain your insurance coverage. These can include:
- Getting yearly or every-other-year roof inspections
- Performing all necessary repairs
- Maintaining your roof according to certain standards
- Logging all visitors to your roof and why they are visiting
Other insurance policies may have other provisions. Make sure you are following these because your new roof or roof repair won’t be covered if you can’t prove that you have followed through with them.
Working With Your Insurance Company
When you choose to work with Watershed for your commercial roof repair, we’ll help you deal with your insurance company. We have done it thousands of times before, so we know what these companies need to see in order for you to file a claim. We’ll get you all of the data that you need, even flying a drone over your roof to take photos for them if that’s required.
We want you to rest easy during this process. It can be stressful when you’re working with an insurance company or waiting on their word, but we will walk through the whole thing with you. Once we have everything we need, we’ll get you your new roof fast, so you won’t have to stress anymore. Call us today to meet with one of our commercial roofing experts. We’ll help you get on the way to a brand new roof for your business in Denver.